Synergy Multi-Academy Trust is made up of schools, both secondary and primary, from north Norfolk. The Trust was initially established by Reepham High School and College in 2015. Our vision is simple; for all of our schools to work together to provide teaching and learning of the highest quality and for all of them to provide an exceptional range of educational experiences and opportunities.
Mathematics is an essential part of life and here at Reepham High School and College we try our very best to share its importance.
We have a strong team of enthusiastic teachers who try to support students to get their best possible grades.
- Mr Hewson [Head of Department]
- Miss Jolly [Second in Department]
Key Stage Three (Years 7, 8 and 9)
When pupils arrive in Year 7 they are set on entry according to their KS2 result. Setting occurs in all year groups and new students who join us late are tested on arrival.
- There are eight sets in Year 7, allowing for very small bottom sets.
- Pupils have three one hour lessons every week.
Key Stage Four (Years 10 and 11)
- There are eight sets in Year 10 and pupils have four, one hour lessons per week.
- There are eight sets in Year 11 and pupils have three, one hour lessons per week.
- Pupils follow the AQA course for GCSE mathematics
- Currently there are lots of changes happening to the GCSE structure. The maths department keeps a very close eye on these changes and we endeavour to select the best options for the students.
Accommodation and Resources
The mathematics department is situated upstairs in the school and is made up of 5 rooms. Most of the main school lessons are taught there and students know that this is the place to come for help. A level lessons are taught in the main college building.
- Each room has its own interactive whiteboard (Promethean) and its own computer for teacher use.
- Two of the rooms share the department’s ICT resources of 30 computers. Laptop trolleys can also be booked for use.
- The department is well resourced with sets of Impact books and Mathslinks books for each class in Years 7 – 9. Level Up books have been purchased for lower ability Year 7. Mathslinks homework books have been purchased for Year 7 - 9.
- Years 10 and 11 have Foundation, Middle and Higher GCSE books written for the AQA course and homework books to match the student class books.
- We subscribe to Mymaths.co.uk and use this to teach and to set homework or classwork tasks. We also use Living Worksheets as well as a number of mathematical puzzles and games software.
Extra-Curricular Activity and Trips
Maths is fun.
We know that, but sometimes it’s not so obvious to the students. We think it is important to enhance pupil’s mathematical experience with extra-curricular activities. Some of our regular activities are listed below.
- We offer a club to help entrants to the National Cipher Challenge
- We run a cars in motion club.
- We have two maths impact days
- The Risk and Probability show for Year 7s
- A Finance Day for Year 8s
- We also take part in a cross curricular Smoothie Day for Year 9s.
- We enter students into the Junior, Intermediate and Senior Maths Challenges.
- Top set Year 10’s participate in the Stock Market Challenge.
- Every year our top Year 9 students visit the Commercial Mortgages and Actuarial Department of Aviva to see maths in the work place.
- The Actuaries then visit the school and run an activity for those students the following morning.