Synergy Multi-Academy Trust is made up of schools, both secondary and primary, from north Norfolk. The Trust was initially established by Reepham High School and College in 2015. Our vision is simple; for all of our schools to work together to provide teaching and learning of the highest quality and for all of them to provide an exceptional range of educational experiences and opportunities.
Physical Education is an essential part of life and here at Reepham High School and College we try our very best to promote lifelong participation in healthy and active lifestyles.
We have a strong team of enthusiastic and talented teachers who try to support students to get their best possible grades.
- Mrs K Lake (Head of Department)
- Mr J Easton (Second in Department)
- Mrs J Masdin (Teacher of PE)
- Mr K Peebles (Teacher of PE)
- Mr A Edgar (Teacher of PE)
- Miss P Thompson (Teacher of PE)
Key Stage Three (Years 7, 8 and 9)
When pupils arrive in Year 7 they are given a baseline assessment to allow us to set them according to their practical ability. Setting occurs in all year groups and new students who join us late are tested on arrival.
- There are two sets in each year group, allowing for a higher and lower ability group amongst the different genders (where possible).
- Pupils have one lesson a week in gender groups and one lesson a week within their tutor groups.
Key Stage Four (Years 10 and 11)
- There are 2 core PE lessons a week for every pupil offering them a chance to participate in a curriculum promoting healthy and active lifestyles.
- There are generally 3 GCSE groups in each year who follow the Edexcel course for GCSE Physical Education.
- In Year 10 GCSE, pupils have one practical lesson and three theory lessons a fortnight, whereas in Year 11, pupils have 5 lessons over a fortnight.
Accommodation and Resources
The PE department is made up of a variety of different teaching rooms. We have a gymnasium where most of our dance, trampolining and gym lessons take place; a 2 court sports hall, where badminton, dodgeball and basketball lessons take place, and the main school hall where table tennis lessons take place. We have a large playing field which holds 3 football pitches, 1 hockey pitch, a cricket wicket and grids for lesson use. We also have an outdoor hard area boasting 4 netball courts and 4 tennis courts, as well as a grass area for 3 additional tennis courts. GCSE theory lessons are taught in the main school building and A’ level lessons are taught in the main college building.
- Each theory room has its own interactive whiteboard (Promethean) and its own computer for teacher use.
- Laptop trolleys can be booked for use.
- The department is well resourced with equipment available for a range of different sporting activities. We try and keep our equipment in good condition and up to date.
- The department is also well resourced with sets of Edexcel textbooks for GCSE and A’ Level pupils. Pupils are given the option to buy a handful of other resources to enhance their learning of the subject.
- We subscribe to PE review magazine and use articles from this to support our teaching of the A’ Level syllabus.
Extra-Curricular Activity and Trips
Physical Education is not only about competitive sports.
We know that, but sometimes it’s not so obvious to the students. We think it is important to allow every pupil to achieve in a variety of different sporting situations and so we offer a wide range of extra-curricular activities. Some of our regular activities are listed below.
- We offer clubs at lunch time and after school in the following activities: Netball, football, dodgeball, rugby, dance, basketball, badminton, handball, cross country, tennis, softball, rounders, trampolining, table tennis, athletics and fitness.
- We enter into many different leagues and cups for a variety of competitive sports.
- We run an extensive inter-tutor competition where every pupil is given the opportunity to take part in a variety of sports to gain points for tutor groups.
- We hold an annual sports day.
- We run a PE impact day for KS3 pupils.
- We run the annual Ski trip.
- We run a PGL Netball tour each year.
- We organise trips to see international matches in a variety of different sports.